2-week course (June 8 – 21)
- Learn intensive permaculture design and horticultural techniques to garden from seed to seed in most ecosystems and climates.
- Participate in the collective design and planting the second part of a 1 hectar permaculture garden.
Permaculture Design is a beautiful tool to deepen and develop your participation in the ecosystem (Nature). Permaculture techniques are a foundation for understanding the gifts nature provides freely to sustain us. This 2-week training is an individual course in Divinya and also the introductory experience for the 6-month Ecology and Spirituality course, where the longterm students will continue the permaculture garden project as part of their main living and learning experience.
The two week residential course is a blending of Permaculture Design approach to gardening combined with the values of the Divinya living and learning community. This initiation will include an introduction to permaculture theory balanced with practical, hands-on gardening techniques and experiences.
This course is suitable for the ones who
- Wish to learn how to sustainably grow organic food using agroforestry and polyculture techniques
- Seek to practically deepen their understanding of and work with the regenerative systems, cycles and influences in nature
- Want to collectively design and realise an ecological garden
During this course you will learn
- To design sustainable gardens and polycultures according to site analysis and permaculture principles
- To grow plants from seeding to harvesting to seed saving and everything in between
- To regenerate soils and use the natural resources on a site including water, wind and sun
- To plan and plant a garden and greenhouse for seasonal harvests throughout the year according to your needs
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Design, prepare and plant a regenerative and polyculture garden from its beginning
Identify the natural resources available in nature and direct them in your garden design
- Identify and calculate vegetable and fruit requirements and produce enough to feed your community throughout the year
- Produce most varieties of vegetables, bushes and trees from seed or vegetative multiplication
- Produce high quality compost and regenerative soil systems
About the teacher:
Caroline Levesque lives in Canada where she is a member of a permaculture cooperative that provides permaculture design and landscaping services, education and organic produce to the local community. She is also an organic certification inspector. Caroline, who is in this field for more than 12 years, has co-created and monitored various organic farms in Canada. Caroline brings a practical, inclusive, and participatory approach to gardening and believes everyone is a gardener at heart.
Caroline is a devoted Vastian since 2008 and seeks to express the Vastian ideals in everything she does.
Scholarship available (with application form)
Each day includes theory and practical classes, with 2 blocks of class time of approximately 2-3 hours each, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, 5 days a week. There will also be times to collectively participate in other joyful Divinya Summer School programs.
On the weekends we have Yoga Weekends. The permaculture design course includes those weekend programs without extra charge.
The course is part of the Divinya Summer School and starts July 8 with a morning class and ends on July 21 in the evening. Students can reach the day before and leave in the morning the day after. We offer shared accommodation for this course (same gender). If students wish to extend their stay before or after the course, please inform us in advance.